Hotels in Timisoara
Hotel North Star Continental Resort
Direction: Boulevard Revolutiei 1989,5
Description: This hotel, restored and modernized in 2003, has 17 plants in wich a whole of 152 rooms is distributed.
The hotel is provided with a bar-cabare in wich different night spectacles and a restaurant are celebred. For the people who travels for business motives there are different conferences halls.
To complete this wide fan, it will have to his disposition service of rooms, of laundry and of medical attention.
In the exterior enclosure of the hotel there is a swimming pool, as well as a bar of aperitifs and a patio to sunbathe.
Hotel Best Western Ambassador
Direction: Timisoara,3rd Mangalia Street.
Description of Hotel:This urban hotel and conferences, that offers him the maximum comfort, is provided with a whole of rooms, 5 of them are suites.
As for the gastronomic, the hotel has a cozy bar and a restaurant with exquisite dishes.
The hosts can use also the services of rooms, of laundry and of medical attention.
The hotel is provided with a swimmming pool and a zone of saunas.
As additional services you can find the solarium and the services of massages.
Those that interested in the sport will be able to use the gymnasium of the hotel.
Information about Timisoara in Romania
Timisoara is a city in the Banat region of western Romania. Its the capital of Timis County.
With 307.347 inhabitants, Timisoara is the fourth largest city in Romania and its a large economic and cultural center in Banat in the west of the country.
Its a multicultural city with influential minorities, primarily Hungarians, Germans and Serbs, as well as Italians, Arabs, Bulgarian, Roma and Greeks.
Timisoara is an important university center with the emphasis on subjects like medicine, mechanics and electro-technology.
In 1019 the locality of Dibiscos presumed to be the future Timisoara, was mentioned for the first time in written documents of teh Byzantine Emperor Basil II,
although not all historians do agree with this identification.
Timisoara itself was mentioned in official documents as a city in 1474. It was conquered by the Ottomans in 1552 and remained under their control until it was taken by the Habsburg army led by the Prince Eugene of Savoy in 1716.
After the city was occupied by the Austrian Empire, the Turkish population fled.
In 1718, the first beer factory in Transylvania was built. The first tobacco mill in today´s Romania was a set up in Timisoara.
Between 1728 and 1771 a canal Bega was built to unite the city with the Danube river. In 1849 Timisoara became the capital of the Austian crowland, but this was abolished in 1860 and passed to Hungarian rule in 1867 with the creation of the dual monarchy.
The city was also the first city in the Austro-Hungarian Empire to have public lighting using suet candles and lamps with oil and grease.
Timisoara also became the first city in Europe to have electic public lighting in 1884.
After First World war, the town was occupied by Serbian troops in November 24, 1918. They withdrew from the city on July 26, 1919 and the Romanian army entered the city on August 3 after an ultimatum of the Romanian government.
After Second World war, as result of the city´s development and of population movements from the Romanian villages of surrounding region and from other region of the country, Romanians became the majority in the city.
On December 16,1989 many citizens of the town came to support the Hungarian Calvinist pastor Laszlo Tokes against the authorities and Securitate decision to deport him. In these circunstance on 17th December a popular uprising started in Timisoara against the Communist regime of Nicolas Ceausescu.
This was the beginning of the Romanian Revolution of 1989, wich put an end to the Communist regime a week later.